Sunday, February 14, 2010

San Valentin

I went to elementary school with this kid whose Greek family owned the little pizza joint in our town. In third grade, for Valentine's day he made our beloved teacher Miss Billera a heart shaped pizza covered with anchovies, her favorite. There it lay, atop her desk amidst the pile of homemade paper cards and boxes of sweethearts- shaming the rest of us for our lack of creativity. To this day, it remains in my mind the coolest valentine I've ever seen.

The kids I live with, Jose, Ulises and Sofia love pizza. So I decided I'd take a page from my elementary school pal's book and make them some heart shaped pizzas, topped with their own favorite ingredients (and in true Guatemalan fashion also topped with ketchup and chile). It was a hit...





3 comments:

GBish said...

That's awesome. Is there any left? I want a piece-maybe go lite on the ketchup though! I once had "mac and cheese" -- made with the pasta, ketchup, and then the cheese powder just sprinkled on top .... hmmmm ....

CharlotteinGuatemala said...

"Spagetti" made with ramen noodles and ketchup is also popular. Mmmm

Tim Slattery said...

They make heart shape pizzas like that for Valentines Day at a pizza place in the States called Rocky Rococo's. Delicious! And a very creative idea, I must agree. By the way, my little host sisters have the same tastes. Every time we make pizza, their part needs to be just ham, cheese, and crust. No sauce underneath, but ketchup on top.