Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We Live Dangerously

Many of you have been asking me what I do for fun here in Peace Corps Guatemala, What my weekends look like, Do I see other volunteers, etc... Here's a little glimpse into my social life:

Last friday night I went to visit my friend and nearby volunteer Emily in her small, out of the way town. Though there isn't a movie theatre,mall, or even a restuarant of any interest, and though the towns electricty was out for much of my time there, we dug up some good ole fashioned fun, carnival style.



This is not your average ferris wheel. Run by an old truck motor (the guy running it was actually pushing down the clutch and changing gears as we rode), this thing seemed likely to shake apart at any moment. Needless to say, we were a bit concerned.

But we had fun. And survived.
Hope that gives you a bit more of an idea what my social life is like here. Come for a visit and I'll show you a good time. Guaranteed.

1 comment:

emily said...

Yes! Our cheating death by riding the rueda now immortalized in photos on your blog! If anyone out there doubts the authenticity of the facial expressions, I can tell you, the terror is real!

Thanks for a fun post, Charlotte.