Monday, April 20, 2009

Reconnecting and Spanish Classes

After nearly 5 months in our sites my training group got back together at the Peace Corps center for a week of training and Spanish classes called Re-Connect. We spent the first two days in our training groups de-briefing all that we have learned, done, seen, and experienced in the last 5 months.

I went into the week feeling pretty overwhelmed by my first 5 months in site. They had been really challenging, at times excruciatingly frustrating, and I frankly felt like I didn’t have a whole lot to show for my time. I was relieved to speak with the volunteers who are a year ahead of me and find that they felt similarly after 5 months in their sites, but that now, a year in, they feel really successful and busy in their sites. I’m looking forward to reaching that point.

After the first two days we broke off into smaller groups and had 3 days of intense Spanish help. I am happy to report that I can now (somewhat) competently speak in the subjunctive! Hurray! I no longer sound like a kindergarten student when I try to tell stories. The week was also lovely because I got go spend my free time with my Peace Corps friends, drinking good coffee and eating bagels (!!!) from the many Antigua cafes shops.

All in all, I chalk it up to a successful week.

No comments: