Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas Without Snow


Kids playing with fire. I think they were burning old school papers. The firecrackers came later, but they were running so fast that I didn´t get any decent pictures!


Gift exchange with Doña Mary´s family



Alana won bright green plastic fingernails in our gift exchange. Here I am applying them.


Although I missed snow like you wouldn´t believe, it must be said that my first Guatemalan Christmas was not without it´s charms. If Christmas Carols and Snowmen are your thing, you´d probably miss your American Christmas. However, if you dig 4 year olds playing with fireworks at midnight and tamales so stuffed with chilis that you think your lips might burn off...then Guatemala is your place for the holidays!

I celebrated the holiday in style with 3 friends from my training group who came to my town to stay with me for a few nights. We cooked up some mighty tasty Mediterranean food (whoever said that you have to have ham for Christmas has obviously never had Falafel) and watched movies. I rang in the midnight hour with my friend Doña Mary and her family. The kids all went nuts with fireworks, sparklers, and enough firecrackers to make the neighbors think World War III was breaking out. After wishing everyone in the family and everyone on the street a Merry Christmas we at delicious tamales and exchanged gifts. It was lovely and I´m sure every Christmas in the future, whether I´m somewhere else in the world or cozy in a warm house while snow falls outside, I´ll remember this Christmas complete with tamales and firecrackers.

1 comment:

Heather Perrin said...

that sounds absolutely amazing. i'm so glad you were able to enjoy your first guatemalan christmas!