Friday, November 7, 2008

It´s Official!


Esperanza and I in the garden of the Embassador´s house


So excited to be volunteers!



The gang looking super fresh in our swearing-in best


Well folks, it´s official, I am a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV)! After 3 months of training we all descended upon Ambassador McFarland´s house last Friday to take our oaths as volunteers. The ceremony was really cool- the ambassador, our country director, and one of our group spoke, reminding us what we´re here for and what our mission is as volunteers.

The day was also bittersweet, as I had the difficult task of saying goodbye to the Carillo family who have taken me in as one of their own. We had a going away party where I cooked them all dinner and we all said words (Guatemalan tradition where everyone present thanks everyone and says nice things about the guest of honor) about how much we enjoyed our time together. Then they gave me lovely presents for my house, which was totally unexpected and very sweet.

It´s hard to believe that I´ve been here for 3 months already, and even harder to believe that soon I´ll be living ALL ON MY OWN, speaking only Spanish!

1 comment:

Jim said...

Good for you Charlotte! Now what will you be doing? I am so happy for you that you are right there in your element. Do awesome work for the Lord, through the Lord.