Monday, April 5, 2010

Me, a teacher?

One of the interesting and often nerve-wracking things about Peace Corps is that it provides you opportunities to do jobs you aren't trained for and that you never thought you'd do, like teaching. Though I love working with people, I don't consider myself much of a teacher and after a 10 year old broke his wrist in a snowboarding lesson I was teaching, I swore off the job for good. However, in Peace Corps I've found myself doing many things that I never thought I'd do, and really having a lot of fun.

Twice a month I teach in a village high school a two hour walk from my house. The school is basically a government trial to see if putting high schools in villages will work (the current system requires high school students to come to town centers, often hours away, which obviously is prohibitive for many students). I began teaching life skills there last year. The lessons have ranged from leadership and self-esteem to basic sexuality. The kids are sometimes frustratingly shy, but I enjoy working with them and the progress I've seen in the students I worked with last year is remarkable.

In addition to the high school class, I jump at any chance given by my office to teach a womens' group. A few weeks ago another volunteer was visiting me and I gave her my camera so I would have a few pictures of me with these groups that I teach but never have the chance to take pictures with.





No comments: