Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Environmental Camp

To say we were overwhelmed when 80 kids showed up on day one of "La Gran Semana del Ambiente" is an understatement. Mark (my sitemate) and I had planned for a maximum of 60 kids and were totally unprepared for the amount of “energy” these kids brought with them. The first day was CRAZY. But we learned from our mistakes and tweaked as we went along. Day two was significantly better and as the week progressed, things got continually better.

The kids learned about how to care for the land, water, air, animals, and the forest through lessons, crafts, games, songs and even snacks! On the last day of camp 57 kids received diplomas for attending all week, and as we sang our final camp song I realized that it was worth all the trouble and stress. It was a pretty wild week, and while I’m not sure I’m ready to jump into another one just yet, the kids learned tons and loved their time at camp.




No comments: