Friday, September 25, 2009

Library Project: Take 2

I was thrilled when I arrived at my parents house in New Hampshire to have to wade through stacks of books to get to my bed. Thanks to all of you, over 60 books were donated to the library project in my town! The challenge then became: How to get them back to Guatemala and then to my town, 300 miles from the capitol!? Luckily, when checking in for my flight in Boston, a very kind spanish speaking airport attendant found my begging hilarious and waived the overweight luggage charge on my bags so that I could get all of the books here. But that was only the beginning of the journey. Over the course of a week the books were passed from car, to plane, to bus, to be dragged through two towns behind me and Kayla, to bus again, and then finally to the LIbrary in my town.

The librarian and the students were beyond excited as I withdrew each book from the suitcase and handed them over for the inspection. Phase II of the Library Project: Complete!

The next step for the library is a children's reading corner and after-school reading appreciation program. A big thank you to all of you who sent kids books! I'm hanging onto them for now until the next phase is complete and I can give them to the library knowing they'll be well taken care of. They're getting plenty of use though...almost every afternoon, my room fills up with neighbor kids who come over to read "Jorge Curioso" or "Madeline." It's pretty amazing- these are very active little kids who have never owned a book in their lives and they sit as still as stones to listen to the stories. On days when I don't go out and invite them to come in and read, they climb the walls of the house next door to see if I'm home to read to them. These kids love books!

Again, thank you so much for being involved and making this project a success! I'll keep the updates coming as the project progresses.





No comments: