Monday, May 25, 2009

This One Takes the Cake

Literally. As for strange cultural moments, this one’s a winner. Yesterday I met my Peace Corps friends David and Emily at a sandwich shop for lunch. The sandwiches and the conversation were great and we decided to prolong our joy with coffee and some of the homemade cake on offer. I ordered the chocolate cake with strawberry mousse (before you decide you want a slice, keep reading…) Our cake arrived and I immediately noticed that mine was emitting a strange sour odor. So I took a bite, which confirmed my suspicions that something was off about it. I forced David and Emily to try it too (such good friends) and with their additional confirmation brought it downstairs to the pastry counter to return it.
The woman at the counter gave me a look like I was insane and the following conversation ensued:

Charlotte: Excuse me, but I think this cake might be sour.
Waitress: No, it’s fine.
Charlotte: Well, I tasted it and it tastes really funny.
Waitress: (sticks her hand in the mousse and licks her finger) That’s just the way it is
Charlotte: Oh, well I don’t think I want it. It tastes sour to me.
Waitress: (sticks her finger in the frosting and then licks it) No, it’s fine.
Charlotte: Okay, well I still don’t think I want it.
Waitress: (takes chunk of the cake and shoves it in her mouth). No, it’s really fresh.
Charlotte: Okay, that´s fine. I´m just going to go back upstairs.
Waitress: (pushing the cake, with her finger prints all over it, back to me) Don´t you want this? It´s really fresh.

Absurd.

1 comment:

emily said...

Heh, I am sorry that happened. It sure is a funny story, though! Maybe you should have busted out that old adage "The customer is ALWAYS right." I'm sure that would have gone over well. :)