Friday, February 27, 2009

Carnival


In the US I vaguely remember Catholic friends of mine celebrating Fat Tuesday, the day before lent begins, as a day to eat sweets before committing themselves to giving them up for the 40 days of lent. Guatemala participates in the tradition, but in Latin American style- Carnival.

To be honest, I had completely forgotten that lent was approaching so quickly, and when I saw the first handfuls of pica-pica (confetti), I thought it was a birthday. The tradition for carnival here is for all of the kids to go crazy covering each other in confetti, face-paint, eggs (real or confetti filled), flour, and anything else they can find to throw at each other.

I was walking home from work on Monday (mind you, a day before carnival), minding my own business, when I started to hear a bit of a ruckus behind me. When I tuned my ears in I realized that they were yelling “Agarra la Carlota” which translated means “get Charlotte!” I turned to see a pack of my neighbors charging up the street towards me. Fight or flight kicked in and I took off running, which in hind sight was probably a bad idea. I think they just got more excited that someone was actually playing their game! I’m about twice their height and probably would’ve outrun them if half of them hadn’t peeled off (you’ve got to give ´em credit…that’s pretty clever) and gone down an alley to trap me on the other side. At this point the whole town had come out of their houses to see what the ruckus was and were laughing their pants off at the site of me being chased by their naughty children. And then they caught me. I arrived home about 20 minutes later, my hair filled with pica-pica and laughing my pants off. I’m still picking the confetti out of my hair, but I’ll count it as a successful cultural integration moment.

2 comments:

Vogue218 said...

Jajajajajajaja!!!

Jennifer said...

It looks like you just had your hair bedazzled! Perfect -just in time for junior prom. : )
I'm glad to hear your adventures, kindred.