Thursday, September 4, 2008

Community Based Training- Week 3

In preparation for our two years of service with PC, we’re all taking part in 3 months of community based training. Basically this means that we are sent out towns in groups of 3-4 and each live with a family in a small town. Instead of living in dorms and doing our training at a central location, we take Spanish classes right in our sites and then get together once a week with the rest of the groups for common sessions which cover topics like health, safety, and culture. The goal is to immerse us in the language, culture, and way of life as soon as set foot in country.

I’m in the town of Pastores, a small town famous for their cowboy boots, with 3 other trainees. Cali is from Texas and has a Masters in Public Admin, Daniel is from NY state and just finished his undergrad at Notre Dame, and John (or Juanito) is from NJ and is a retired lawyer who practiced for 40 years before joining the Peace Corps (you do the math…he wins the award for oldest PC volunteer currently in Guatemala)! We’re quite a group- lots of different interests and backgrounds to share. I’m sure you’ll here lots more about these three in the months to come.

Our training consists of LOTS of Spanish, and then a few days a week of tech training in which we learn how to work effectively within a municipal government (blog coming on exactly what this means…I’m still figuring that out!) office in Guatemala. At times it’s completely overwhelming to spend 6 hours a day in Spanish classes and then come home and have to speak it to everyone around me, but I think I’m actually picking some of it up!!! I had this crazy moment yesterday where I was having a conversation with my host mother, Esperanza, and after talking for like 10 minutes straight I sat back and was like “WHOA! I just thought and said that ALL in SPANISH!” I really can’t complain about the Spanish classes either because nearly every day has something interesting thrown in- from learning to make Tamalitos to visiting Mayan Ruins! Life is certainly not boring here.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Charlotte! It is so good to read your posts so far. I am so excited for you. Just from a few posts you have me convinced that I want to do this too. I look forward to hearing more. You are greatly missed!!

-Hannah (Lee)

Kristin said...

Jessalyn is learning Spanish in 2nd grade...her Spanish name is "Gloria". ha ha

How awesome that you were able to have a full conversation with your host family! That must feel great!