Wednesday, August 20, 2008

l{m here

Thats right, i have arrived! I have absolutely no idea how to use these Guatemalan keyboards so my emails and this blog post are filled with lots of errors and strange symbols. i feel like this really describes how i feel in this new place though. My ability to speak spanish is elementary at best ( i seem to communicate quite clearly with the 5 year old who i live with, but no one else!) and also filled with errors.

Its hard to put into words how it feels to be here. I cant believe i arrived here exactly a week ago. it really feels like months. i spent my first few days living with a host family in the town where the peace corps office is located. then on saturday i moved to an adorable little town just north of antigua (wikipedia-now!) where im living with an older woman who is an amazing cook and determined to give me a good introduction to the delicious Guatemalan cuisine (poor me, right?). i am currently spending about 6 hours a day in spanish classes, which are really helping, but i still feel like a crazy person when i try to express myself. however, sign language goes a long way and im getting pretty good at making things up! fortunately, i can usually get my point across using a combination of arm flailing and english words infused with spanish endings.

Ill be living in my current town for the next 3 months while i train for my peace corps service. after i successfully test at an intermediate spanish level and show that im technically competent to perform my job, ill swear in on halloween and begin two years service to a rural Guatemalan town. im excited and nervous and homesick and ecstatic to be here all at once. i really have no idea what im getting myself into, but i think im gonna like it.

4 comments:

Kann said...

We'll be praying for you!!!!

Kristin said...

Awesome. You've conveyed your emotions quite well..and most of all it sounds like you are excited and happy to be there! I'm sure as the language barrier starts to break down things will get much easier for you!

Keep posting!!

Sharon said...

Hey Charl,
the arm flailing, english mixed in with the spanish sounds quite interesting. :) It will get easier for you I'm sure. I will be praying for you.
Love you,
Mrs. H.

Anonymous said...

hey, at least you'll come back being able to speak Spanish better than most of the Spanish teachers we had in high school! I'm sure those years of Spanish class are coming back to you, right???!!!