Sunday, May 9, 2010

Books!

This update on the library project has been a long time coming. Due to the imminence of the rainy season, the Tuisquimak latrine project has take precedence in my calendar and blog-posting, but I assure you, it's still plugging along. Last month I finished the kids corner, complete with a red picket fence and matching red bookshelf. The mural is painted and the books are waiting to arrive and be devoured by eager kiddos. I've been mulling over several ideas for the management of the kids library, as I don't want the books to be brought home and never returned, and have finally figured out how I'm going to do it. But more on that all later...soon we'll be flinging the doors of the kids library open and I'll post pictures and updates on that final step.

For the moment, however, I'd like to write about an amazing donation we received last week from a Guatemala-based NGO called ChildAid. They coordinate with educational publishing houses to receive large donations of books that they then distribute to Guatemalan libraries at a very low cost. I got in touch with them about a month ago and last Thursday, after an overnight road trip with my town's mayor and librarian, we were invited into the storehouse and our trunk was filled with hundreds of beautiful, new books- math books, kids books, atlases, posters with poetry, natural history books. It was quite a sight.







No comments: