Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cultural Mishaps

Though I feel I’m fairly well integrated into my community by now and generally get what’s going on culturally, there are always moments when things come up and surprise me, as happened in the following story…

I was taking a walk through town when I noticed one of the kids I play soccer with crying outside her house. I stopped to ask her what was wrong and she informed me that her grandma had died. Not knowing what to say to her, especially since I’m unfamiliar with the customs surrounding deaths here, I just sat with her a while. After a while, she grabbed my hand and informed me that we were going to see the body. It actually wasn’t as strange as I thought it would be. The family was all there, and seemed glad that I would care enough to come in. So again, I just sat a while to show that I was concerned for them.

Later on in the afternoon I went to visit a friend for our weekly coffee and telenovella (if you don’t know that is, Wikipedia it, I cannot describe). We talked briefly about the death of my neighbor and my friend told me that she didn’t want to go view the body because her husband has the same infirmity and she’s afraid that he’ll die too if she goes there. I mentioned casually that I had been to visit the family, not thinking anything of it, and she immediately pushed me over to the pila (sink) and dunked my head in the water!!! She then instructed me to wash my face and hair while she watched! Whoa.

Apparently there is a lingering traditional belief that if you view a dead body you can carry death around with you. We had a good laugh about it later, probably when she saw the shocked look on my face and realized I had no idea what was going on.

Here’s to clean faces and learning new things!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness Charlotte! What a crazy story. I'm glad you were able to laugh about it..but at the time it must have been a bit scary!

...it sure does make for a good story though!

dupedbyPuebloBonito said...

Charlotte! That must have been a SHOOOOCK! Live and learn...all the time. You don't know where the invisible fence is until you get zapped by it! (that's my method usually in new cultures...lol)

I'm with Kritin...good true tale.

If you come back to see us we won't dunk you...at least not intentionally.

Sus

MAllie said...

That sounds like it would have been hilarious to see!!

I'm so happy to see you enjoying yourself in Guatemala! I thought you'd be interested to know that my boyfriend, Matt, and I are hopefully going on a mission to Honduras for 6 weeks from May 27th to July 9th. We're going with a Christian organization called CAM International. Modeling your own, I made a blog to jornal the trip (mallie-hondurasmission.blogspot.com). I'm sure it would be hours away, but maybe if we had some free time we could get together! I'll let you know when I have more information. Talk to you soon.
~Allie Tyler
(Joe's granddaughter from TX, in case you're wondering)